The graduate with a thirst for success

11 Jul 2022

Daniel Dunn was just 14-years-old when he started his first business.

Daniel Dunn sitting in front of sandstone

Eight years and five business ventures later, the now 22-year-old graduates this week from the University of Queensland Bachelor of Advanced Business Honours.

“I always knew I wanted to study something related to business and I was lucky enough to be in the pilot cohort of the degree through the UQ Business School,” Mr Dunn said.

His first venture had been buying headphones online and selling them for a profit while in Year Nine at high school.

“I sold almost two thousand dollars’ worth and started a business club at school,” he said.

“I got a taste for it and before long had my next business idea – my own brand of power banks that I had made in a factory overseas.”

The entrepreneurial teenager also started a web design business and mowed some lawns.

“But that only lasted about a month because I realised I wasn’t very good at it,” Mr Dunn said.

Another business, selling personalised wrist watches, failed despite Mr Dunn spending thousands of dollars on marketing.

“I actually didn’t like wearing a watch, so no wonder I couldn’t sell any," he said.

“It taught me an important lesson – that you have to believe in your product.”

Read the full article on UQ News

Students in Shanghai for the 2018 Startup AdVenture
Daniel Dunn (pictured in centre) on the Shanghai Startup AdVenture with fellow students

In 2018, Daniel ventured on the four-week Shanghai Startup AdVenture and learned alongside a local Chinese startup, gaining first-hand knowledge on founding, investing and growing an early-stage business.