Five reasons why university is a great place to launch a startup

17 May 2021

Opinion: Ocean Cheung, startupdaily. 

According to the Public Perceptions of Innovation Report from Advance Queensland, 6 out of 10 people want to be involved in innovation, but don’t know where to start. 

I have been very fortunate; I started my entrepreneurial journey in my first year of uni, which opened so many doors for me. Here are the reasons as to why university is the best place to launch a startup or to be part of an innovative project. 

Ocean with two other young men at QODE exhibition behind its media wall
Ocean Cheung with fellow Ventures alum ParaSpace founder, David Chaseling,  and CEO Robotics Playground, Wilson Kong
  1. A place to meet like-minded people

“If you want to walk fast, walk alone. But if you want to walk far, walk together”— Ratan Tata.

Having a team is essential when you are running a startup (you may not like it, but trust me, you will agree with me more when you experience anxiety or breakdowns). In fact, a well-rounded team of individuals from diverse backgrounds will bring a diverse set of skills, knowledge and experience to make your startup more sustainable and scalable. 

A university is a great place to meet people from different study disciplines, who have diverse skill sets and mindsets. Therefore, cross-campus and faculties activities are highly encouraged in university these days. For me, I met my co-founder of Startup Interns through an ambassador program and my co-founder of Meetip at a bootcamp.

If you are looking to connect with like-minded people, I encourage you to check out the networking events, meetups, case study competitions, Startup Weekends and hackathons organised by your university or student club and societies. Who knows, you may find your co-founder(s) at the next event. 

Read Ocean's full story on startupdaily

More articles on Ocean Cheung: Executing ideas to create value: how an international student found his ideal job

Ocean Cheung is a UQ Alumni Advisory Board Member; Bachelor of Business Management, Marketing and Human Resources UQ graduate, and UQ Ventures alumnus of many entrepreneurship programs.